To encourage and assist 200 students, traditionally under-represented because of income; family educational background; disability; or other relevant federal, state, provincial, or institutional criteria, in completing post-secondary education.
The Student Support Services (SSS) program assists program participants by:
- Serving as advocates for access to higher education
- Providing services to assist individuals in achieving their educational goals
- Facilitating the educational development of participants served
- Promoting a multi-cultural environment to assist participants with diverse backgrounds and learning styles
- Collaborating with institutions, organizations, and communities to promote an environment conducive to the completion of a post-secondary education
Applicants must meet at least one of the following:
- First-generation college student (neither parent has earned a bachelor’s degree)
- Demonstrate economic need (as defined by Federal guidelines)
- Have a documented disability
Successful applicants must demonstrate potential to graduate, as well as complete an application and interview process.
Why join TRIO?
- 200 or more students served each academic year
- 71% retention rate of TRIO/SSS participants
- 94% of TRIO/SSS participants maintain good academic standing with the university
- Individual and group tutoring
- Assistance from a student support services coach
- Career planning and counseling
- Support for students with disabilities
- Workshops on academic personal and financial topics
- TRIO networking
- Peer mentorship & internships
- Educational supplies
- Academic advising and planning
Interested in joining the TRIO/Student Support Services program?
The TRIO/SSS program provides students with individual support and academic guidance, connection to tutorial services and supplemental instruction, assistance with graduate school funding sources, financial aid and scholarship support, and identifying career development and internship opportunities.
Additional Resources and Services (offered to TRIO/SSS students free of charge)
College Success Seminars
College Success Seminars are sponsored by Academic Support Centers to provide skills and information beneficial to students striving to get the most out of their college experience. The variety of subjects covered throughout the semester are focused on the tools students need to succeed that are not covered in the classroom.