Substance Avoidance Prevention and EducationOne University Plaza, MS 2030 Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701
1. How often do you have a drink containing alcohol?
NeverMonthly or lessTwo or four times/monthTwo or three times/weekFour or more times/week
2. How many drinks containing alcohol do you have on a typical day when you are drinking?
1 or 23 or 45 or 67 - 910 or more
3. How often do you have six or more drinks on one occasion?
NeverLess than monthlyMonthlyWeeklyDaily or almost daily
4. How often during the last year have you been unable to remember what happened the
night before because of drinking?
5. How often during the last year have you found that you were not able to stop drinking
once you started?
6. How often during the last year have you failed to do what is normally expected
from you because of drinking (e.g., missed deadlines, poor classroom or work attendance,
failed committee responsibilities, inconsistent work patterns?)
7. Have you or someone else been injured as a result of your drinking?
NoYes, but not in last yearYes, during last year
8. Has a relative or friend or doctor or other health worker been concerned about
your drinking or suggested you cut down?
9. How often in the last year have you needed a first drink in the morning to get
yourself going after a heavy drinking session?
10. How often during the past year have you had feelings of guilt or remorse after
11. Have people annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
12. Have you ever felt that you should cut down on your drinking?
Scoring & Interpretation
A score of 8 or more for all twelve questions indicates that a harmful level of alcohol
consumption is likely.
The last four questions (9,10,11,12) are considered a separate "sub-assessment" embedded
into the entire self-administered instrument.
A sub-assessment score of 1 - 2 indicates that you may have a drinking problem. A
score of 3 or more indicates there is a significant possibility that you have a problem
Southeast Missouri State UniversityOne University PlazaCape Girardeau, MO 63701(573) 651-2000Contact Us Last Updated