COVID-19 Information

See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic at

Student Health

Through a partnership with SoutheastHEALTH, Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses and Nurse Practitioners provide health treatment including physical exams, laboratory services, immunizations and allergy shots, medical procedures, prescription services; well women exams and assessment and treatment of illness/injuries for Southeast Missouri State University students, faculty, and staff.

An appointment is encouraged for most student health services. Students can usually get a same day appointment, especially if they call early in the day. Call (573) 651-2270 or stop by the clinic. Bring your student ID and insurance card to all appointments.

Health Fee & Health Insurance

Campus Health Clinic charges for services at the University.  Charges are similar to what is charged in the community.

SoutheastHEALTH will bill insurance for students and faculty seen at the Campus Health Clinic. Students without insurance may apply for “Patient Assistance” by logging onto Click on Patient/Visitor Information, then Billing and Insurance and follow the instructions on the form. If the student is 18 years or older, the application will be based on student income only.

If you do not have hospital insurance and cannot pay for your services upon registration or dismissal, you will need to make credit arrangements. The Registration clerk can refer you to a Patient Accounts representative who will provide information about what resources may be available to assist you with your bill. If you have any questions about your bill, insurance, or resources available, the Patient Accounts personnel will be glad to discuss these with you. If your insurance or personal resources are depleted, you will need to discuss your account with a Patient Accounts representative prior to dismissal.

In addition to a bill from the Hospital, you will receive a separate bill from each physician who has some involvement in the interpretation of your test results or your treatment, even though you may not have had direct contact with those physicians, who may include radiologists, pathologists, anesthesiologists, cardiologists, or neurologists. Physicians who are consulted about your care will bill you for their consultation services.

If you have a question about the bill or a general question about insurance coverage, contact the number on the bill. Specific questions about the health insurance policy benefits covering the student should be directed to the insurance company. (Call the number on the back of your insurance card.)

Health Insurance Requirement: In order to ensure their physical well-being, the University requires international students to purchase health insurance through Southeast. The insurance offered by the University includes coverage benefits for healthcare and emergency global services. Students are billed for their insurance coverage twice per year; with coverage periods extending from August to December and January to August. (IEP students arriving in March, June or October are charged a pro-rated amount.) Continuing students are re-billed each fall and spring semester. (Note: Spring charges automatically include mandatory summer coverage.) Coverage for all students will be effective at the start of the academic term.  However, enrollment in the insurance plan and the billing of fees typically does not occur until a student is registered for University courses.  For this reason, the insurance charge may not may not appear on a student's account until the second billing statement.

International students are also encouraged to complete the Health Profile form ( and bring it to campus with them.  The Health Profile form is optional, but it does give health care providers important information that may help them treat students in a timely and effective manner.

Exchange students and students sponsored by governments or partner universities may be exempt from this policy if they can provide evidence of coverage equal to or greater than to the policy offered by Southeast.  Government must be direct sponsor of insurance coverage. Proof of insurance coverage limits must be provided to the Office of International Education and Services no later than the first day of classes or your automatic insurance enrollment will NOT be terminated.

Student Health Insurance: Students at Southeast, with the exception of international students, are not required to have active health insurance as a condition of enrollment; however, it is strongly encouraged. Students who are not covered under their parent/ guardians’ health insurance plan or have no coverage of their own are encouraged to consider securing health insurance. Because of options for health insurance available in the private market and through various governmental programs, the University does not offer an optional University sponsored or funded insurance for domestic students.

Treating Minors - Not Accompanied by a Parent or Guardian

PURPOSE: All attempts should be made to insure proper consent is attained for treatment of the minor patient in the Clinical setting.


  1. Under 18 years of age
  2. Unmarried
  3. Not a parent of a dependent child
  4. Dependent on a parent for part or all of financial support


  1. Contact parent or legal guardian for permission to treat the minor.
  2. If the parent is absent and cannot be reached, next of kin may be called.
  3. Telephone permission is acceptable if witnessed by two (2) persons.
  4. Permission may be obtained from person temporarily responsible for minor (e.g., babysitter, grandparent) if parent cannot be reached (implied consent).
  5. Minor may sign for him/herself in case of:
    1. Pregnancy (excluding abortion)
    2. Venereal disease
    3. Drug or substance abuse
  6. In case of a runaway juvenile (under 18) contact local juvenile officer for court authorized permission to treat. Cape Juvenile Detention Office: (573) 334-6001.

Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) is a federal law that sets rules about who can look at and receive your health information. This law gives you rights over your health information and when it can be shared. It also requires your doctors, pharmacists and other health care providers, and your health plan to explain your rights and how your health information can be used or shared.

HIPAA requires most doctors, nurses, hospitals, nursing homes, and other health care providers to protect the privacy of your health information. However, if you do not object, a health care provider or health plan may share relevant information with family members or friends involved in your health care or payment for your health care in certain circumstances.

Under HIPAA, your health care provider may share your information face-to-face, over the phone, or in writing. A health care provider or health plan may share relevant information if:

  • You give your provider or plan permission to share the information.
  • You are present and do not object to sharing the information.
  • You are not present, and the provider determines based on professional judgment that it’s in your best interest.

Tuberculosis Screening

All new students attending any college or university in the State of Missouri be screened for Tuberculosis (TB). The screening must follow the Center for Disease Control protocols that screen individuals based upon their time outside the United States, and their possible exposure to TB, or those who are likely to have come in contact with someone who has TB. The legislation requires colleges and universities to place a hold on a student’s registration if they do not complete the Tuberculosis screening within their first semester at a Missouri college or University.

Any student answering yes to one of the following questions on the TB Screening Questionnaire is required by Missouri law to be physically tested for Tuberculosis with either a Tuberculin Skin Test (TST) or PPD, or Interferon Gamma Release Assays (IGRAs). IGRAS are blood tests that must be used to test for TB on anyone who has lived outside the US for more than 1 month. TSTs may not be reliable if any International student ever received BCG vaccine in the past. BCG vaccine is commonly used in many countries outside the US to prevent TB. IGRA tests include T-Spot and Quantiferon TB Gold. All new, incoming International students at Southeast are screened with a blood test (Quantiferon TB Gold).

  1. Have you ever been sick with tuberculosis?
  2. Have you ever had a positive PPD, TB Quantiferon test, or T-SPOT?
  3. Were you born in, or have you lived, worked or visited for more than one month in any of the following: Asia, Africa, South America, Central America or Eastern Europe?
  4. Have you had HIV infection, AIDS, diabetes, leukemia, lymphoma or a chronic immune disorder?
  5. Are you or have you been a health care worker?
  6. Have you ever lived, worked, or volunteered in any homeless shelter, prison, jail, hospital or drug rehabilitation unit, nursing home or residential health care facility?
  7. Have you been in close contact with someone who has or had active TB?

A student answering no to all these questions is considered to have been effectively screened and no further action is needed.

A student answering yes to any of the statements is required to complete a medical test at the Campus Health Clinic in Crisp Hall, in order to be further screened for Tuberculosis. If the student can provide documentation of TB testing done within the past calendar year in the US, and can provide copy of that test to Campus Health Clinic, the screening will be waived.

Meningitis Vaccination (on-campus residents only) All students living in on-campus housing at a Missouri public institution of higher education are required to be vaccinated against bacterial meningitis or have an exemption for medical or religious reasons (see Missouri Statute 174.335.1).

  • The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that students receive the vaccine within 5 years of beginning college. A booster will be required for students who received their initial vaccination at age 11-12. To reference this information, please view the CDC website.
  • Vaccination records need to be submitted to the Office of Residence Life prior to moving into the residence halls. Records can be mailed to Office of Residence Life, faxed to (573) 651- 2557 or emailed to
  • Medical or religious exemptions must be submitted using a University exemption form available through the Office of Residence Life.
  • Records of the vaccination or exemption must be on file by the first Friday of classes, as required by Missouri State law. Failure to provide them by that date may result in the cancellation of the student’s housing contract, with applicable charges, thereby impacting the student’s ability to live on campus and remain in classes.