COVID-19 Information

See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including a list of University contact information at

May 6, 2008

May 6, 2008


Present:          Aide, Baker, Beard, Bertrand, Buis, Hinkle, Janzow, Kraemer, McDougall, McGowan, Miller, Parker, Prater, Ruediger, Shaw, Starrett, Stephens, Strange and Waddle
Guests:           Gloria Green (Nursing), Dieter Jedan (Foreign Languages and Anthropology), Christina Frazier, and Pat Ryan
             Upon a motion by McGowan; seconded by Janzow, the minutes of March 4, 2008 were approved.
1.  Revision to major in International Business
McDougall moved approval for the revisions to the major in International Business; McGowan seconded.  McDougall stated that meetings had taken place with the Department of Modern Languages, Anthropology and Geography and all revisions were agreed upon as presented.  Strange asked that the definition of “Term Study Abroad” be included for printing purposes.  McDougall agreed. Motion was approved.
2.  BSN Curriculum
Stephens informed the Council that two years ago a Consultant came to Southeast to look at the Nursing program.  The Consultant commended the Department on its strength and history but also had some strong recommendations.  It was suggested that incoming nursing students rather than taking nursing courses in the first 2 years, take the general education and science courses; then, with a minimum 2.5 GPA, declare a nursing major.  However, by moving in this direction, it created a glut of students in the sciences.  Stephens, noted that normally the Council does not look at “new courses” internal to the department, but in this case, it also impacted other programs.  Prater moved approval of the changes to the BSN curriculum; McGowan seconded. Gloria Green (Nursing faculty) stated that there are 15 new syllabi restructuring credit hours and increasing clinical hours but course content will remain the same.  She stated the new numbers and title changes which will differentiate from the on-line BSN courses and be less confusing for RN’s and be helpful for transfer students.  Stephens commended Dr. Green and the Department for their hard work.  It was noted that in December scores were already up. The motion was unanimously approved.
3.  Graduate Studies Academic Standards Policy [moved to action item]
Janzow reported that the updated policy clarifies standard terminology and some wording changes on who makes the decision on whether or not a graduate student is allowed to continue in the program after receiving unsatisfactory grades. He noted that the department determines continuance if there is academic trouble.  After discussion, it was suggested that a statement for student dismissal also be included in the policy.  The Provost asked that this be made an action item.  McDougall moved approval; Starrett seconded.  The motion was unanimously approved.
[Discussed out-of-order from agenda.]
1. BGS degree [moved to discussion item]
Stephens stated that in the March 4 Academic Council meeting that she may have confused the Council by thinking that the committee had recommended that the BGS could not be used as a second degree. She noted that when the Registrar voted “no” on the proposal, she realized that there was more to discuss.  She stated that it was not the intent to make this a second-class degree.  In re-visiting and re-thinking the issue, she decided there is no need to fix what is not broken and noted that there are only a few times when the BGS is used as a second degree.  Dr. Stephens stated that she had a discussion with the Registrar and it was agreed that the Registrar will inform the Council if there is an increase or if it is being misused.  Provost stated that the BGS and BSID would be staying in the same classification as they are now until there is reason for concern.
2.  Syllabus Template
Stephens noted that there is confusion from faculty surrounding a syllabus template and asked that Starrett explain to Council.  Starrett noted that last summer issues arose with students challenging grades received in classes.  The finding from a sampling of course syllabi across the colleges is that there is a lack of clarity on the expectations for students.  Starrett stated that the CSTL Teaching Associates began creating a “best practice” syllabus with certain stated expectations, reference to the honesty policy, disabilities, etc. Each syllabus needs to protect students and faculty.  It was shared with the Deans and the Deans shared with the Chairs and the Chairs with the departmental faculty.  The Provost reminded the Council that you cannot remove a student from a class without due process, and there is legal liability associated with that action.  All faculty are encouraged to put standards for grades in their syllabus.  It was noted that this would also be discussed by Faculty Senate and, again, at Academic Council.  After discussion regarding the title usage as a “template,” it was agreed that this is appropriate terminology and it is key to University protection.  The Provost asked each dean to discuss this within his/her college.  It was also determined another item that may need clarification is the Course Approval Document.  Stephens asked Starrett to have the Teaching Associates be prepared to return with a presentation to Academic Council in the fall and noted that each college is represented by a Teaching Associate.
3.  Voluntary System of Accountability
Stephens informed the Council that the summer meeting of chief academic officers at AASCU was spent discussing the Voluntary System of Accountability (VSA) and all public schools in Missouri agreed to participate in the VSA.  She informed Council that Federal legislation is dictating transparency from all public colleges concerning all fees, graduation rates, ACT scores, etc., which would enable parents and students to do cost comparisons.  VSA is higher education’s attempt to come into compliance.  Starrett distributed a proposal to the Council identifying what the assessment needs would be, the instruments to be used, logistics, a comparison of MAPP and CAAP, the proposal, and rationale.  The proposal is to use MAPP to meet both the needs of the VSA & GE matrix and the General Education Program; administer the standard version of MAPP to all incoming freshmen; administer the standard version of MAPP to all graduating seniors, and evaluate the MAPP writing essay as a possible replacement for WP003.  Council discussed incentives associated for taking tests, when to administer tests, effect on transfer students, and other assessment benefits and indicators.  Provost will share the information with Executive Staff at their next meeting and welcomes any feedback after today’s discussion.  She noted that VSA is required to be on the first page of the University web page and within four years everything must be posted for all public institutions.


Academic Hall 130
Office of the Provost
One University Plaza, MS 3400
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701