See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
Present: Edmund Buis, Sarah Cron, Rusty Curtis, Irene Ferguson, Sandy Hinkle, Dennis Holt, Fred Janzow, Martin Jones, Gerald McDougall, Chris McGowan, Wes Mueller, Michael Parker, Phil Parette, Linda Schoonmaker, Randy Shaw, Jane Stephens, Georganne Syler, Nicholas Tibbs, and Shirley Stennis-Williams.
Guests: Mark Strauss, Dennis Seyer, Eleanor Duff, Ferrell Ervin, Kenn Stilson, Greg Roberts, Gale McMahan, Nancy Blattner
A. Minutes of March 13, 2001. Upon motion of Fred Janzow and seconded by Chris McGowan, minutes
were approved unanimously.
1. Revised Minor in Child Life Services, Department of Environmental Studies: Council members were provided with a handout including memo of Paula King regarding changes to Child Life Services minor and copy of revised Child Life Services minor approved by the College of Health and Human Services College Council and a copy of the existing minor. In Paula King’s absence, Georganne Syler answered questions and comments of the Council. Martin Jones moved to approve the changes to the Child Life Services minor, and Nicholas Tibbs seconded approval. The motion was approved unanimously.
2. Restructuring Proposal for a New Department in Communication: (Council members were provided with a handout consisting of Martin Jones’ memorandum regarding Restructuring Proposal for a new Department of Communications and R. Ferrell Ervin’s memorandum regarding Restructuring and 7-page Restructuring Proposal for Department of Communication.) Martin Jones made a motion that the Academic Council approve the restructuring proposal submitted by the speech and mass communication faculty, which they unanimously agreed to on August 1, 2001, in order to establish a new Department of Communication. Moreover, the Academic Council takes the references in the proposal to future additional resource needs for budget staffing, facilities, and equipment, as advisory and informative, and would not be endorsing any of those stated resource needs by this motion to approve the restructuring. Relative to this motion it is understood that the new Department of Communication will be chaired by Dr. R. Ferrell Ervin. Rusty Curtis seconded approval. Ferrell Ervin and Kenn Stilson were present to address questions and comments of the council. The motion was approved unanimously. Stephens commended the department of Speech Communication and Theatre for their unanimous consent for this proposal.
3. Establishment of a New Department in Theatre and Dance: (Council members were provided with a handout consisting of Martin Jones’ memorandum regarding Motions for Academic Council on September 4, 2001, and Kenn Stilson’s memorandum regarding Restructuring of Theatre and Dance.) Upon approval of the restructuring proposal for the Department of Communication, Martin Jones made a motion that the Academic Council approve the establishment of the Department of Theatre and Dance to be concurrent with the institution of the Department of Communication, and this new department will be a unit of the School of visual and Performing Arts, along with the Department of Art, Department of Music, and the University Museum. Related to this motion, Kenn Stilson, currently Chairperson of the Department of Speech Communication and Theatre will become the Chairperson of the new Department of Theatre and Dance. McDougall seconded the motion. Kenn Stilson and Mark Strauss were present to address questions and comments of the council. The motion was approved unanimously. Stephens commended the faculty for their support.
4. Revision of Senior College Credit Hour Requirement: (Council members were provided with a handout from Dennis Holt, Proposal for Revision of Senior Credit Hour Requirement.) After discussion of the council, Martin Jones moved that the following revision be made to the motion and approved: “A minimum of 56 hours must be earned at an accredited senior college or university, or by completing courses at a community college with a 2+2 approved articulation program agreement with Southeast Missouri State University." Dennis Holt seconded approval. Shirley Stennis Williams made a motion to table this matter until the October 2nd meeting to enable members of the council to discuss this within their colleges, and Chris McGowan seconded the motion. Jane Stephens asked for a vote of the Council. Upon a vote of 18 “ayes” and 1 “nay”, the motion passed.
5. New Area of Emphasis: Cross Categorical Added to B.S. in Education: Council members were provided with 2 handouts. The first handout included a memo of R. Eleanor Duff regarding “A new are of emphasis: Cross Categorical” and supportive documents that (1) describe the need for the new area of emphasis; (2) reflect the configuration of courses that make up the Area of concentration with the new emphasis in Cross Categorical; and (3) indicate where, in the overall (K-12) program, the new courses have been inserted. The second handout consisted of 3 documents: The Department of Elementary, Early& Special Education - The Cross-Categorical Program, Paraprofessional Grant – List of Students – Fall ’00, Spring ’01, and Fall ‘01. Gayle McMahan and Eleanor Duff were present to explain the new area of emphasis and answer questions of the Council. Randy Shaw moved to approve the new area of emphasis: Cross Categorical added to B.S. in Education, and Chris McGowan seconded approval. The motion was approved unanimously.
6. Mass Communication Major Requirement: Council members were provided with a handout including memo of Bob Burns regarding Mass Communication major requirement and supporting memo of R. Ferrell Ervin requesting the required majors to the department to complete MA 155 Statistical Reasoning to meet the General Education logical systems requirement. Martin Jones moved that the following revision be made to the motion and approved: “Majors pursuing undergraduate degree programs in mass communication fields be required to complete MA155: Statistical Reasoning to meet the General Education logical systems requirement." Chris McGowan seconded approval. The motion was approved unanimously.
7. Center Renaming – Manufacturing Technology Resource Center to Technology Resource Center: Randy Shaw distributed a handout consisting of his memorandum to the council regarding “Center Renaming” and asked if the council would consider it for action at the September 4th meeting. It was the consensus of the council to table this item to the October 2nd meeting for consideration/approval.C. Discussion Items
Undergraduate Bulletin 2001-02: Sandy Hinkle announced that the 2001-02 Undergraduate Bulletin should be out for review soon with a due back date of November 1 for publication.