See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic at semo.edu/covid19.
All Candidates seeking admission to the Academy must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have NO felony convictions nor a conviction for a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude
- Have no DWI conviction or suspension within three years of application
- Be 21 years old upon certification
- Submit an Academy application with $100 non-refundable registration fee
- Provide a copy of their high school diploma or GED (these must be attendance based with accreditation)
- Provide a copy of their birth certificate
- Have a valid drivers license
- If prior military, provide a copy of DD-214
- Submit to criminal records check. Missouri DPS requires fingerprints be initiated no earlier than 120 days and no later
than 15 days before the start of the basic training course. Completing a background check does not ensure acceptance into the Academy. To
obtain background check you must use the state vendor. All applications must go to
www.machs.mo.gov or call 1-877-862-2425. Select “Click here to search the MACHS fingerprint portal to schedule a background check
by fingerprints.” On the next page, select the first option “I have a 4 digit Registration Number that was provided by my employer or licensing
agency (Search of Missouri and/or FBI Files)” and hit “Begin”. On the next page, enter Southeast’s code of 5974 and hit populate. This will automatically put in Southeast’s pertinent information.
You will then need to fill in your required personal information then select “register”. On the following page, you will need to select “Schedule Fingerprinting”. Read the IMPORTANT NOTICE and select “I understand and agree”. On the next page you will select payment method and location of where you want to
have your fingerprints taken. (You must pay the vendor directly. Southeast Law Enforcement
Academy is not affiliated with this vendor.) Once your fingerprints have been taken,
return a copy of the receipt given to you by the vendor with your academy application.
The background check will be sent directly to Missouri Department of Public Safety
in Jefferson City. You will need to provide your fingerprint receipt to the Academy for verification
no later than 15 days before the start of class.
Candidates seeking admission to the Kennett Academy must comply with the above and:
- Fill out an application for admission to the university.
- Mail BOTH applications to the Law Enforcment Academy at Cape Girardeau.
- Must enroll through the university portal or via advisor in LE199, LE299, LE399 and LE499.