See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic at semo.edu/covid19.
Eliminate Your Risk By:
- Practicing abstinence.
- Only having sex within a mutually monogamous relationship with a non-infected partner.
Reduce Your Risk By:
- Limiting your number of sexual partners.
- Knowing about your sexual partners (e.g. Do they have a large number of sexual partners?
Do they have a history of S.T.I.'s?).
- Looking for sores, discharges or other symptoms.
- Properly using condoms: Using latex condoms and a lubricant made for condoms; Not
storing condoms in a wallet, etc.
- Condoms only protect the area that is covered, lesions outside that area can be infectious.
- Using spermacide-nonoxyl-9.
- Washing with soap before and after.
- Properly using a dental dam.
Sexually Active Individuals Should Have Regular STI Checkups:
- Symptoms are not always a reliable way to determine if a person has an STI.
- Many people show no symptoms, or symptoms may be hard to detect.