Process for Admission
Step by Step Instructions to Apply to BSN Program (for Spring 2019 Cohort Admission)
You are eligible to apply if you:
- have applied and been admitted to Southeast Missouri State University
- meet all admission and progression requirements of Southeast Missouri State University
as outlined in the current Bulletin.
- have a cumulative college GPA of 2.8 or greater.
- have completed 45 or more credit hours, are on schedule to complete a total of 59
hours or more prior to beginning nursing courses.
- have completed or have in progress all required university studies, pre-requisite
nursing courses and electives.
have a grade of “C” or higher in:
- Anatomy & Physiology I (BS113/013)
- Anatomy & Physiology II (BS114/014)
- Chemistry (CH180 or CH181/001)
- Microbiology (BS240 or BI200)
- Growth & Development Across the Lifespan (PY220)
- Nutrition (FN235), Logical Systems (MA155)
- Written Expressions (EN140)
- have completed the HESI A-2 pre-admission exam, Southeast Missouri State University
- have completed at least three (3) of the four (4) required science courses (A&P I,
A&P II, Chemistry and Microbiology) and be enrolled in the fourth science course at
the time of admission. All four (4) science courses must be completed with a grade
of “C” or higher prior to beginning the nursing course sequence.
Selection Process: Students are ranked for admission using the following criteria:
- 60% HESI (Health Education Systems Incorporated) A2 composite exam score
- 15% HESI Critical Thinking exam score-not a part of the HESI A2 composite exam score
- 25% Cumulative college GPA
- Admission is contingent on successful completion of all coursework in progress with
a grade of “C” or better in the courses as noted above.
Provision of Southeast Student ID#, Southeast Email address, and permanent/home mailing
- Your Southeast Student ID#, Southeast Email address, and permanent/home mailing address
must be included on the application.
- All electronic communication will be directed to the Southeast Email address; all
written correspondence will be directed to the permanent/home mailing address. If
your permanent/home mailing address changes, it is your responsibility to notify the
Department of Nursing accordingly.
Lapse of Attendance
If there is a lapse in your attendance at Southeast Missouri State University, you
must complete a returning student form.
Transfer Students and Students with a conferred Associate’s Degree:
- With most associate’s degrees, the lower-level university studies courses are typically
waived. Transfer students must meet all university requirements and Department of
Nursing requirements; and complete all prerequisite courses.
- Transfer and 2nd degree seeking students must supply all college transcripts to the
University Registrar. Applications without transcripts submitted to the University
Registrar will not be processed.
- Contact Southeast Missouri State University pre-nursing advising for instructions
on taking the HESI A-2 with Critical Thinking component. If taking the HESI A-2 with
Critical Thinking component at a site other than Southeast Missouri State University,
the student must receive specific instructions regarding registration for the HESI
A-2 and Critical Thinking exams.
Non-English Speaking Student Policy:
Any student wishing to declare nursing as a major, whose native language is not English,
is required to take the TOEFL. The TOEFL score cannot be more than two (2) years old.
Minimum scores for admission to the Department of Nursing are: 100 cumulative score
and no less than 20 on individual scores for speaking, writing, reading and listening.
If you have read and understand all of the instructions and meet ALL of the criteria
outlined above, please proceed to the application form.