Insider Tips from Upperclassmen
They’ve been where you’re going, and they have learned lessons the hard way. Take
advantage of their wisdom with these great insider tips from Southeast’s upperclassmen!
- Do not park where you aren’t supposed to
- Get a planner
- Get involved. Even if you end up not liking a group, you’ll make new friends along
- Introduce yourself to your professors
- Call home at least once a week
- DO NOT SKIP CLASS
- Check portal announcements daily for cool events
- There is an “any permit” lot located behind the football stadium that freshmen who
live on South Campus can park in instead of parking all the way at Pig Lot
- If you need volunteer hours, visit semo.edu/serve or call Campus life at 573-651-2280
- Don’t eat the same place for every meal. Switch it up or risk getting tired of Subway
and Panda Express.
- Be wary of 8 a.m. classes, but don’t be afraid to challenge yourself.
- Pig lot has air pumps if you need to fill your tires.
- Take advantage of what Southeast has to offer: writing lab, tutoring, counseling services,
leadership opportunities, etc. Everyone just wants to help you be successful.
- Don’t go home every weekend. Some of my best memories are the random things people
did in the dorms on the weekends.
- You and your roommate won’t always get along, and that’s okay.
- Even if you feel awkward or out of place, it’s okay. Everyone feels that way at some
point. Don’t let it stop you from trying something new.
- This is the most freedom you've probably ever had for the least responsibility...
College is fun, but remember you're here for a degree!
- Get to know the professors in your major. They're really cool and they help you a
lot more when you're proactive on your future goals.
- Make your advising appointment as soon as humanly possible.
- When you're given your day to enroll, and it starts at 7 a.m., be on your computer
with the CRNs of the classes you want ready.
- It's okay--normal even--to change your major. I changed mine 4 times and I'm still
graduating on time.
- The best way to avoid cardiac hill is to walk by the practice field, and then take
the elevator in Brant!
- If you go to the welcome picnic, you will never have to buy any cups ever again--they
hand them out at almost every station.
- Skipping class (3 credit hour MWF class) costs about $12.50 per day skipped... that's
a pretty expensive nap.
- Open your mind to other people's beliefs, and actively try to see their point of view.
- ALWAYS ask for student discounts when buying food in Cape