Welcome to the Department of Leadership, Middle and Secondary Educations website.
We offer undergraduate initial teaching certification for middle, junior, and senior
high school teachers, as well as some K-12 programs. We also offer master, specialist,
and doctoral degrees in higher education, and educational leadership. Our mission
is to prepare, support, and sustain effective educational leaders and middle and secondary
educators. To provide student centered, future thinking educational programs that
instill a passion for life-long learning and a thirst for knowledge that transforms
students into leaders of diverse classrooms, school systems, and communities. We
hope to to create a department recognized for excellence for educator preparation
programs in educational leadership and middle and secondary education. To become a
premier education department that provides transformative experiences that foster
daring imagination and empathetic understanding in students to become leaders in their
field, to teach future generations to seek knowledge, engage in critical thinking,
and promote the diversity and social welfare of the communities that they serve.
The Department of Leadership, Middle and Secondary Education at Southeast offers a
variety of field and learning experiences. The field and clinical experiences progress
through a series of four consecutive blocks designed to provide the teacher candidates
with a progressive and comprehensive training program. Faculty place teacher candidates
in area schools to provide a variety of experiences within the teacher candidate’s
range of certification with qualified classroom teachers. The sites used for selecting
assignments for the Block II and Block III teacher candidates range from a small,
rural one-building high school to large multi-building campuses to private four-year
high schools. This range allows for as much diversity as is available in southeast
Missouri area schools.
Among the benefits of attending Southeast as a Middle and Secondary Education major
are the following:
- Southeast is the nation’s only two-time winner of the prestigious Christa McAuliffe
Showcase for Excellence Award presented by the American Association of State Colleges
and Universities (AASCU).
- Southeast’s education program is fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation
of Teacher Education (NCATE). This national accreditation and Southeast’s strong program
requirements and reputation offer our graduates enhanced opportunities when searching
for and obtaining employment nationwide.
- Southeast’s education program differs from that of many other universities by providing
you with extensive field experience, beginning with first-hand classroom training and observation during your freshman
year and continuing through student teaching during your senior year. As a student
in Southeast’s education program, you will receive a full semester of on-the-job student
teaching experience, as opposed to the traditional eight or nine weeks of training,
thus better preparing you for a career in education.
- Southeast’s education program’s unique block format in addition to providing increased
professional experience, allows you to meet other students with your major early on,
thus enabling you to form common bonds and establish professional relationships with
others in your field.
- As a student in Southeast’s education program, you will have the opportunity to personally
experience another culture’s educational system through international student teaching
- Southeast’s education program is one of 20 national model programs selected by the
AASCU. Our program was one of four nationwide cited for innovative curricular development.
- Southeast’s College of Education, Health and Human Studies received the “Best Practice
Award for Global and International Teacher Education” from the American Association
of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE).
- The Missouri Board of Education has cited Southeast’s education program as “Exemplary.”
- Southeast is a member of the prestigious Renaissance Group of Institutions, an organization
developed to improve the education of teachers.
- Southeast students benefit from small classes and a low student-faculty ratio.
- Undergraduate majors are offered in 12 different content areas
- All professional education courses are taught by professors, not graduate students.
Three different levels of Graduate degrees are offered in the Department of Leadership,
Middle and Secondary Education.
- Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration (for those that want to work in college or university student services)
- MA in School Administration (for those that want principal certification (K-8 or 7-12), or K-12 director of special
- MA in Secondary Education
- Educational Technology (for educational professionals that want to learn the thoughtful and practical use
of technology to support teaching and learning in a range of educational environments)
- Educational Studies (for middle, junior, and senior high school teachers that want to enhance teaching
and organizational abilities to improve classroom instruction)
- MA in Teacher Leadership (for those that want to excel in the classroom in non-administrative roles)
- MAT-Stem (for those who earned an undergrad degree in Math or Sciences and now want an initial
With many different avenues toward success, we hope you have a great learning experience
in earning your degree(s) through our department and Southeast Missouri State University.