If you are experiencing trouble browsing the Internet, it may be due to:
- The presence of spyware, viruses, and malware on your own or other network connected
- The presence of browser helpers like HotBar, ClearSearch, or Comet Cursor.
- The use of peer-to-peer programs like BitTorrent and Limewire. These are not allowed
on SEMO's network.
You can protect your own computer's performance by:
- Never opening an attachment or hyperlink included in an unexpected or oddly-worded
- Using the Close button (the X in the upper right corner) to close out unexpected pop-up
- Using the Windows Disk Cleanup feature to remove unnecessary files.
- Open My Computer, right-click on the local hard drive, select Properties from the
pop up menu, click on Disk Clean-up.
- Using the Windows Disk Defragmenter feature to optimize data storage, however, do
not use on Solid State Drives (SSD) machines.
- For Windows 7, click on Start menu, click on Program Files, Click on Accessories,
click on System Tools, click on Disk Defragmenter.
- For Windows 10, click on Start menu, search for defrag in the search bar, select Defragment
and Optimize Drives, select your hard drive, and click Optimize.
- Researching the effects of any program that you are considering installing on your
- Discontinuing file-sharing activity (File-sharing is often illegal and subject to
a loss of network rights, prosecution, or both).
- Keeping your operating system up-to-date with Windows critical updates or MAC OS.
- Removing undesired programs using the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
- Removing spyware from your computer.
- Installing and regularly using an up-to-date anti-virus software package.
If you find it necessary to remove spyware, viruses, or malware from your computer,
follow these recommendations:
- Remove spyware using a spyware removal utility. Several free applications are available
to scan for malware/ remove malware,
One of these appliications is Malwarebytes it is available from www.malwarebytes.com.
Another one is CCleaner, it is available at www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
A copy of these programs can be downloaded and copied to a flash drive or burned
to a CD from any open computer lab.
- Install and run a CURRENT antivirus program to identify and disinfect or remove any infected files. Set your
software to update on a daily basis.
- Install the Windows critical updates. Reboot when instructed. Return to scan for additional
updates required for the new update installations. When an option, set your windows
to run automatic updates.
- If you continue to have problems, the IT Help Desk is available to assist in virus
To learn more about Malware and Computer threats visit: https://www.semo.edu/it/security/index.html