See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
If ResNet issues (i.e. viruses, spyware/malware, no Internet connection, etc.) can not be resolved over the telephone, the IT Help Desk can assist ResNet users in executing the following steps:
- Startup Minimization: Reduce the number of programs that start when a user logs in, decreasing boot up time and increasing overall speed of computing
- Cache Flush: Clean up unused temporary files left by various programs
- Antivirus Installation & Scan: Replace old/expired versions of antivirus software with Microsoft Security Essentials and scan for and remove viruses
- Spyware Scan: Install antispyware software and scan for and remove spyware
- TCP/IP protocol audit: Repair the TCP/IP protocol if necessary
- Account Audit: Check for unneeded local accounts, recommend setting administrator and user passwords
- Windows Updates: Update the computer so that it has the latest security patches
- Automatic Updates: Set computer to receive automatic updates from Microsoft
- Browser settings audit: Reset Internet Explorer's security and usability settings in order to provide a safer web experience
The IT Help Desk does not work on hardware issues for student computers. Please consult the manufacturer/vendor or 3rd party repair shop for hardware problems.
IT Help Desk
Memorial Hall 107
One University Plaza
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701