Traveling while in the US

International students can travel anywhere in the United States with no special permission, but must get a travel endorsement on their I-20 if travelling outside the United States.  The Form I-20 or Form DS2019 must be signed by a DSO within 12 months of the time a student returns from travelling outside the United States. All other immigration documents (Form I-20/DS2019, passport and visa) must be valid for return as well.

What documents are needed to re-enter the US?

  • Unexpired and endorsed Form I-20 (for F-1 students) / Form DS 2019 (for J-1 students)
  • Unexpired passport valid at least 6 months into the future
  • Unexpired visa (F-1 visa if you have a Form I-20, J-1 visa if you have a Form DS 2019)

Note: A signature is not required if traveling within the United States.


International Village Admin Building 101 – Located at:
1025 N. Sprigg St.
Cape Girardeau, MO

International Education and Services
One University Plaza, MS2000
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701

Staff Directory
international lab badge