The Standard Insurance Company was recently awarded a contract to provide employee
life and disability insurance effective January 1, 2018. There will be a one-time
open enrollment for life insurance beginning November 15 through December 1, 2017.
Below is a brief summary of the life and disability insurance highlights for 2018:
- The University-provided Basic Life Insurance coverage policy will be $25,000.
Employee-Paid Supplemental Life Insurance
- The Standard will allow benefit eligible employees a one-time opportunity to increase
supplemental life insurance benefits during this open enrollment. The form can be
found under Human Resources Forms, http://www.semo.edu/pdf/hr-life_insurance_form.pdf
- Eligible employees may elect 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x (new option), or 5x (new option) base
salary coverage rounded to the next higher multiple of $1,000.
- The maximum amount of coverage available is $750,000.
- The guaranteed issue coverage limit, which is the maximum amount of coverage that
is automatically approved with no medical underwriting requirement, is the lesser
of 5x base salary or $100,000 in coverage. Requests to increase supplemental life
insurance coverage to an amount greater than the guarantee issue will require approval
from The Standard Insurance Company via the completion of a medical history statement
that can be accessed online at https://www.standard.com/forms/ebid/mhsonly/index.html. This completed form must be returned directly to Human Resources for processing.
Employee-Paid Dependent Life Insurance
- Coverage amounts will remain the same at $5,000, $10,000 and $15,000 coverage policies.
The form can be found under Human Resources Forms, http://www.semo.edu/pdf/hr-life_insurance_form.pdf
- Employees may increase dependent coverage amounts up to the $15,000 maximum.
- Dependent Age limit for children will change to age 26. Employees may cover unmarried
children to the end on the month in which the child turns 26, regardless of student
- Employees may also add eligible children based on the age 26 guidelines.
- Both the University-provided Accidental Death & Dismemberment and Long Term Disability
coverage policies will continue at the same coverage levels.
Employees may review their current elections on the Southeast portal. Log in to the
Employee Self Service, go to “Employment Details” section, and select the Benefits
Statement. Life Insurance coverages and covered dependents are displayed on this statement.
Employees wanting to elect new coverage or change their current coverage during this
one-time open enrollment must complete the Life Insurance form at http://www.semo.edu/pdf/hr-life_insurance_form.pdf and return to Human Resources, MS 3150 by Friday December 1, 2017, by 5pm.
Supplemental Coverage Options: 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X, or 5X * Base Salary (over $100,000)
* With medical evidence of insurability
||$.06 per thousand
||$.15 per thousand
|50 and over
||$.54 per thousand
||$.072 per thousand
||$.180 per thousand
|50 and over
||$.648 per thousand
||$1.50 per month
||$1.80 per regular paycheck
||$3.00 per month
||$3.60 per regular paycheck
||$4.50 per month
||$5.40 per regular paycheck