The Dietetic Internship represents one of the final two steps in the process of becoming
a Registered Dietitian. It comes after the undergraduate degree is earned and provides
9 months of experiential learning that are required before the RD exam may be taken.
The Southeast Missouri State University Dietetic Internship has as the emphasis area
"Nutrition Education.” It provides experiences in nutrition therapy, community nutrition,
food service systems management, and nutrition education.
Health promotion and disease prevention, along with primary and/or ambulatory health
care are experienced at various sites, including fitness facilities, hospitals, food
service establishments, university food service, and numerous community agencies.
Internship rotations can be completed in one of the following areas using the sites
- Southeast Missouri
- Southeast Health
- St. Francis Medical Center
- Chateau Girardeau
- Cape County Health Department
- Aging Matters
- Southeast Athletics
- HealthPoint Fitness
- Cape Public School District
- Jackson Public School District
- Perry County Memorial Hospital
- St. Louis, Missouri
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center
- Kirkwood Public School District
- Mercy Hospital Jefferson
- Studio Element
- Operation Food Search
- Health Technologies
- St. Francois County Health Department
- St. Charles County Health Department
- Southern Illinois
- Southern Illinois Healthcare
- Heartland Regional Medical Center
- Anderson Hospital
The internship is 36 weeks in length, beginning in mid-August and concluding with
graduation in May.
Southeast Missouri State University is an equal opportunity institution and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, national
origin, or disability.
Features of the Program
The program provides an opportunity to:
- Complete the supervised practice experience required by the Accreditation Council
for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Earn 14 hours of graduate credit toward a Master of Science in Nutrition and Exercise
Science with the option to complete graduate degree after completion of internship
- Become eligible to take the Commission on Dietetic Registration’s credentialing exam
for Registered Dietitians.
- Access all of Southeast Missouri State University's facilities including Kent Library,
state-of the art computer laboratories, and student fitness and recreation facilities.
- The Southeast Missouri State University Dietetic Internship is accredited by the Accreditation
Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)