COVID-19 Information

See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic at

Appeal and Complaint Policies and Procedures

Southeast Missouri State University strives to maintain an educational environment protecting the rights of all members of the University community, while holding individuals accountable for their actions. It is also important that members of the University community be willing to confront policy violations and the infringement of another individual’s rights personally, or by filing a complaint. Any member of the University community may file a written complaint against another member for possible violation of any University policy. This initial filing generally should be made to the Office of the Dean of Students, the Department of Public Safety (DPS), the Office of Residence Life, or the Office of Student Conduct, within a reasonable period of time.  For the complaint procedures, please refer to page 9 of the Student of Code of Conduct.

If you feel that you have been discriminated against on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, or disability, or if you feel that you have been sexually harassed, complete the Office of Equity and Diversity Intake Form. You may then either mail it to our office, or make an appointment with our office and bring it with you to the appointment. For more information or to make a complaint, contact:

Vice President for Equity, Access & Behavioral Health
Dean of Students
One University Plaza
Academic Hall 010, MS 3375
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701
(573) 651-2524 Phone
(573) 651-2108 Fax
Office of Equity Diversity Intake Form

If you are not satisfied with the University's attempt to resolve your appeal or formal complaint or you have a general complaint with the University you may register a complaint with the Missouri Department of Higher Education or with our accrediting agency-Higher Learning Commission. Submit the complaint to:

Missouri Department of Higher Education: Call (573) 526-1577 to indicate your desire to file a complaint and for additional information.

For students outside the state of Missouri:
You may appeal to Missouri's State Authorization Reciprocal Agreement (SARA) portal agency.

Higher Learning Commission


Academic Hall 010 - 011
Dean of Students Office
One University Plaza, MS 3375
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701