Classes on all Southeast campuses beginning at noon or after Feb. 15 are canceled
and offices are closing at noon Feb. 15. Check https://semo.edu/closings.
Requirements for Admission and Graduation in the Communication Disorders program:
- There are no additional admission requirements for the undergraduate program in Communication
Disorders. Any student granted admission to the university may declare a major in
Communication Disorders. However, there are important retention and graduation requirements
that must be met prior to receiving a degree in Communication Disorders. These are
- Declaration of Major
- Students interested in the professions of speech/language pathology or audiology may
contact the Communication Disorders Department to declare the major in Communication
Disorders anytime after being admitted to the University. Upon completion of the declaration
of major form, each student will be assigned an advisor within the department.
- Retention Requirements
- Students will be retained as communication disorders majors providing the following
retention criteria are met:
Retention Grievance Policy
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 in the major courses must be maintained, with a grade of ‘C’
or better in all major courses. Any course within the major with a grade of ‘D’ or
‘F’ must be repeated before any higher level CD class can be taken.
- A student who completes a semester with a major GPA below 2.75 will be placed on probation
within the major for the next semester of enrollment. If a major GPA of 2.75 is not
achieved by the end of the probationary semester, the student will not be allowed
to continue in the Communication Disorders major.
- Any student who is not retained in the Communication Disorders major will be notified
by the Chairperson of the Department of Communication Disorders. The student will
be given the opportunity to meet with the Department Chairperson to discuss the rationale
of the decision. An official request for review of the decision must be received by
the Chairperson within 10 business days of the mailing date of the denial letter.
- In addition to fulfilling all University requirements for graduation, students wishing
to graduate with a major in Communication Disorders must satisfy the following criteria:
- Present a minimum overall GPA of 2.50.
- Present a minimum major GPA of 2.75.