Our staff provides education, counseling, and assistance with application, personal papers, legal or environmental forms such as Medicare, health insurance, advance directives, taxes, public benefits, personal finances, as well as other paperwork needs.
Appointments may be scheduled at the APPLE office, local senior centers, or senior residential complexes. Services are provided to the homebound. Educational programs on selected paperwork topics are available for small group presentations.
Program Topics for Presentation
the types of medical care coverage and plans available
- Preventive services
- Home health care
- Skilled nursing facility care
- Hospice care
- Home medical equipment
- Diabetes supplies and services
- Prescription drugs
- Medicare Advantage Plans
Supplement Health Insurance
the types of policies available
- Standardized Medigap policies
- Medicare Select policies
- Indemnity policies & other secondary policies
finding and paying for quality services
- Home, community, or facility-based service choices
- Financing tools such as insurance, reverse mortgages, and other options
how to have the last word
- Why you need a Health Care Directive and Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care
- Completing or revising your advance directive
how to spot fraud and protect yourself from it
- Consumer fraud via telephone, mail, door-to-door or internet
- Preventing identity fraud
public and private programs
- Discount cards and pharmaceutical company patient assistance programs
- The Missouri Rx Program
Are your personal and financial papers in order?
- What records need to be kept and for how long?
- Making and using a master document locator form
Protecting Your Privacy
in the age of information
- Removing yourself from direct marketing lists
- Checking the accuracy of your Medical Information Bureau and Credit Reports
Older Driver Safety
Learn the best practices of driving.
- Enhance your knowledge of safe-driving techniques.
- Assess changing needs and adjust to new driving challenges.
Pre-Paying Your Funeral
Securing the memorial services you want
- Prearrangement and prepayment plans
- Revocable versus irrevocable agreements
Turn home equity into income
- The benefit and cost of this type of mortgage
- Lump sum payment or line of credit income options
Implement and protect your decisions
- Durable Power of Attorney and Living Trusts
- Wills, Beneficiary Deeds, POD’s, and TOD’s
Missouri Property Tax Credit
AKA “Circuit Breaker”
- Eligibility guidelines for this refundable rent or real estate tax credit
- Applying for this cash refund
Low Vision Resources
Aids for independent living
- Demonstration equipment for loan
- Information and referral for services
For more information, please call the APPLE Project at (573) 651-5467.