Admission Requirements for the B.S. in Social Work
The purpose of the Social Work Program at Southeast Missouri State University is to
improve society's well-being by creating a more humane and just society. The Social
Work Program has a dedicated emphasis on providing services and professional social
work practitioners for the underserved and vulnerable populations and communities
of the Southeast Missouri region.
Declaration of Major
Students interested in pursuing a degree in social work may contact the Department
of Criminal Justice, Social Work and Sociology to declare the major anytime after
being admitted to the University. Upon completion of the declaration of major form,
the student is classified as a pre-social work major and assigned a faculty advisor
from within the social work program.
Students wishing to be formally admitted into the Social Work major must meet the
- Completion of 45 semester hours with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25.
- Completion of the following basic knowledge and professional foundation course work
with a minimum grade of "C":
- PY 101 Psychological Perspectives on Human Behavior
- SW 110 Introduction to Social Work*
- SW 201 Social and Economic Justice*
- SW 205 Introduction to Social Welfare Policy*
- SW 207 Understanding Cultural & Social Diversity*
- SW 221 Interviewing Skills for Generalist Practice*
- SW 222 Case Management
- SW 242 Statistics for Social Scientists
- Completion of all developmental courses (if applicable)
- Completion of constitution/civics requirement, natural sciences requirement (3 hrs)
and written communication requirement.
*SW110, SW201, SW 205, SW207, SW221, SW222, and SW242 may NOT be repeated for admission
to the Social Work major without written permission from the BSW program director.
Students will be retained as social work majors providing the following retention
criteria are met:
- Completion of the following foundation courses with a minimum grade of "C".
- SW 307 Human Behavior and the Social Environment I
- SW 308 Human Behavior and the Social Environment II
- SW 310 Social Welfare Policy
- SW 321 Generalist Practice I
- SW 322 Generalist Practice II
- SW 323 Generalist Practice III
- SW 342 Social Research
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.25 each semester. (Once a student's cumulative GPA
has fallen below 2.25 the student will not be allowed to enroll in any remaining social
work course until the GPA requirement is met.)
- None of the foundation courses can be retaken more than once without written approval
from the BSW program director.
Core courses may be reapeated to raise grades below "C" with written approval from
the student's faculty advisor and the BSW program director. The student's faculty
advisor will monitor compliance with all requirements listed above.
The Bachelor of Science degree in Social Work is awarded to students who satisfactorily
meet the following requirements:
- Completion of all University graduation requirements listed in the Southeast Missouri
State University Undergraduate Bulletin.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.25.
- Completion of integrated seminar and field education, i.e., SW449 with a minimum grade
- Completion of 448 hours of field education, i.e., SW 450 (Credit/ No Credit).
Social Work majors are not required to complete a minor.
The faculty of the Social Work Program have a duty to the social work profession to
make reasonable efforts to ensure that its graduates are not only academically prepared
but are also emotionally and ethically prepared for the demands of professional practice.
Students are expected to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Adherence to the NASW Code of Ethics
- Self Awareness (knowledge of self - personally and professionally)
- Professional Commitment and Behavior
- Acceptance of Diversity
- Freedom from Chemical Dependency
- Emotional and Mental Stability