See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including
a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
Preparing for the Interview
We are looking forward to meeting you virtually and learning more about you and your
interest in Southeast Missouri State University. Here are a few suggestions to help
you prepare for the interview:
- Review the essay you submitted and be prepared to discuss your academic and/or career
- Prepare to offer thorough, but succinct answers to the questions. The interview will
be approximately 30 minutes in length.
- Wear something you might wear to a job interview and be well-groomed.
- Test your video connection to Zoom to ensure good lighting, microphone and camera
settings are in place.
Sample Interview Questions
The interview will be conducted by a two-person team from Southeast. Ask a teacher,
counselor or friend to read through the list of potential interview questions to help
you practice your answers.
- Tell us about yourself.
- In your essay, you indicated an interest in (studying, exploring or researching X).
Can you expand further on your interest in this area?
- Aside from a college degree, what do you hope to gain from your college experience?
- What have you learned from someone who is different from you?
- What advice would you give middle school students about achieving success in high
- Talk about your involvement in and out of school.
- Tell us about one event or person in your life that has influenced you.
- Congratulations on your academic success in high school. What motivates you to want
to learn and to put forth your best effort?
- Why are you interested in Southeast Missouri State University?
- Why do you think you are an excellent candidate for this scholarship?
- Is there anything else you would like to share about yourself or your interest in
this scholarship that you haven’t already shared?
- Do you have any questions for us?
Candidates will be evaluated in three areas including 1) school and community activities,
including leadership and honors, 2) personal essay and 3) interview. Equal weight
will be given to each category.