College of Education, Health and Human Studies
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree is housed within the College of Education, Health and Human Studies. The college boasts programs that train students in mind, body, and soul. So, whether you want to teach, to care, to support, or to fix, we have a program to get you there.
What You'll Study
Graduates of the Ed.S. in Counseling program are prepared to serve as professional counselors in school and community agency settings. There will be 3-6 credits of internship experience dependent on the program of study. High-quality, experienced, full-time faculty provide support, supervision, and mentorship throughout the program. In addition, the program helps accelerate post-graduate licensure.
Education Specialist Core (12 hours)
- CP 733 Advanced Educational Processes
- CP 771 Counselor Supervision
- CP 788 Advanced Internship (6 hours)
- GR 799 Specialist Oral Examination
Electives (to complete 72 hours)
- CP 630 Foundations of School Counseling
- CP 640 Foundations of Mental Health Counseling
- CP 645 Marriage and Family Counseling
- CP 735 Intelligence Testing
- CP 739 Testing Practicum
- EA 625 Foundations of Educational Leadership
- EA 651 Education and the Law
- ED 615 Tests and Measurements
- EX 601 Educational Assessment Techniques
- EX 635 Psychology and Education Students with Special Needs
- SE 635 Theories of Learning and Instructional Strategies
All students must have a minimum of 72 credit hours to graduate from the Educational Specialist program.
Other electives may be available with the approval of the advisor. Students must work closely with their respective advisor to determine a program of study that meets appropriate certification and/or licensure requirements.
The Education Specialist in Counseling graduate program requires a master's degree prior to admission. If the degree is in a discipline outside of counseling or education, then the student must complete the core requirements for the Ed.S. program (42 credit hours of the counseling master's degree). Students with a master's degree in counseling or education can waive the 42-hour requirement and complete the 12-15 hour core requirements of the program.
A student will be admitted to graduate study when the following admission requirements are satisfied:
- Holds a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Has an undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 on a 4.00 scale (except when superseded by specific program requirements which require a higher GPA).
- Has met other specific requirements for the applicable program.
Program Admission Policies
In addition to the criteria established for general admission to graduate studies, applicants must have the following.
- A graduate GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- A master's degree in counseling or education from a regionally accredited institution of higher education. If not, the student will be required to complete additional graduate work (admission under provisional status) before regular admission is granted.
International applicants must have a minimum IELTS score of 7.0 OR TOEFL score of 95. This requirement is for non-United States citizens who are not native English speakers. Students from the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are exempt from English proficiency verification.
Graduate coordinators serve as the contact for graduate programs. The coordinators are most often faculty within the college that houses the program, helping you to get questions answered and first-hand knowledge of the degree requirements and placement opportunities.
Happening in the Department of Psychology and Counseling
The Will to Do
Become a Redhawk.
Do more than dream about the future. Take the first steps to make it all happen.
Getting the Job
Your education is just one piece to launching an extraordinary career. Once you’ve mastered the material, you still have to find the job you want, make the right connections, sell your knowledge and experience—and if all this is giving you anxiety, don’t panic. SEMO’s Career Services office is here to help you with the next step. They’ll provide the expertise and support you need, so you’re landing your dream job in no time.