The BFA in musical theatre is a pre-professional training program designed to prepare
students for a career in musical theatre with an emphasis on experiential and academic
training. Musical theatre majors have the opportunity to perform in four mainstage
productions a year, two Second Stage productions, perform in voice concerts, and attend
regional and national theatre festivals.
The rigorous training and varied experiences of the BFA in musical theatre provides
an excellent foundation for graduate study or careers in performance, academics, and
Musical Theatre students will…
- Train with experienced faculty and staff in the areas of acting, singing, voice, and
- Prepare for rewarding career as a professional capable of performing in a variety
- Study and train in the beautiful River Campus, a multimillion dollar facility devoted
to the visual and performing arts.
- Benefit from an established program of collaboration with professional guest actors,
directors, singers, casting agents, and designers.
- Establish relationships with professional actors, directors, and singers through internships,
outside auditions, master classes, artist residencies, theatre festivals, and a Senior
Showcase in NYC.
Students holding the BFA in Theatre: Musical Theatre must have
- Demonstrated ability to act in a musical (i.e., to project one’s self believably in
word and action into imaginary circumstances, evoked through improvisation or text).
- Demonstrated ability to create characters convincingly from musicals drawn from different
genres and musical styles in an ensemble relationship with other actors.
- A developed technique for analyzing the specific tasks required in performing varied
characters from musicals.
- Achievement of the highest possible level of performance as an actor-singer.
- Thorough development of skills in acting and skills in dance as appropriate to musical
- Thorough development in basic musical skills including voice performance, musicianship,
and music theory.
- An overview understanding of makeup materials and techniques.
- Demonstrated comprehension of the basic business procedures of the actor’s profession,
including audition procedures, resumes, headshots, unions, agents, online actor websites,
and so forth.
Live Chat Support Software