Due to snow in the region, Southeast Missouri State University’s programs at Three
Rivers College in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, will be closed on Thursday, Jan. 18.
Medical laboratory science is a branch of medicine that uses laboratory analyses to
diagnose and treat disease. Laboratory analyses are performed on blood, body fluids
and tissue. Physicians use these laboratory results to determine the presence, extent
and cause of disease in their patients. The role of the medical laboratory scientist
is critical since the analyses must be performed quickly and reliably.
The medical laboratory scientist’s training is versatile allowing some to pursue other
opportunities in medicine, health law, health care administration, dentistry, veterinary
science, public policy development and medical writing. Students who desire a challenging
and vital profession in the health sciences should consider medical laboratory science.
What You'll Do
- Develop lab skills in chemistry, biology, and math in the context of a broad university
- Study in modern learning environment provided by the recently renovated Magill Hall
- Complete one-year of clinical study at a clinical program that holds accreditation
status from The National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
- Be eligible for national certification as a medical laboratory scientist upon completion
of the B.S. degree.
- Have excellent employment opportunities upon completion of the program.
What You'll Study
- BI130 General Microbiology
- MT300 Clinical Chemistry
- MT303 Hermatology and Coagulation
- MT305 Blood Bank Immunohemotology
View Department Page