Our English Education program includes 42 hours in English literature, language, and
writing courses. We prepare our students to teach their content successfully. In addition,
our majors must complete 41 hours in education courses including 19 credit hours in
field experiences off campus at secondary schools.
What You'll Do
- Our majors will have the opportunity to have three field experiences in secondary
schools with mentor teachers before their last semester.
- During the last semester, the student teaching field experience lasts sixteen weeks
at one school.
- The Techniques of Teaching English course is taught by an instructor with a successful
public school career.
- Our teacher candidates are encouraged to attend professional development events including
the Southeast Missouri English Teachers Association and Write To Learn Conferences,
where they have met English Education experts including Kyleen Beers and Jim Burke.
What You'll Study
- ED280 Introduction to Teaching
- SE319 Techniques of Teaching English
- EN 201 Writing About Literature
- LI 256 Variety of Literature
View Department Page