Communication studies majors develop skills that make them “most likely to succeed.”
The Wall Street Journal reports that leaders in corporations and industry consistently
rank communication skills among the most needed in the workplace. They identify communication
deficiencies as extremely common among employees and responsible for significant problems
with efficiency, productivity, and safety.
What You'll Do
- Interact with well-trained faculty in small-class settings.
- Learn and train in state-of-the-art facilities in Academic Hall.
- Develop skills in oral, written, and visual communication, as well as listening, teamwork,
leadership, and more.
- Experience one-on-one advising to determine the best courses and minor (or second
major) best suited to personal goals and aspirations.
- Have access to the student organizations COMMrades and Jimmy's Friends.
- Be poised to try out for Southeast's award-winning debate team and/or as a tutor in
the department's speaker's resource center.
- Have the opportunity to oversee public events while earning course credit.
What You'll Study
- SC 200 Advanced Public Speaking
- SC 320 Group Communication & Decision Making
- SC 310 Speechwriting
- SC 335 Interviewing
View Department Page