Admission Requirements for the B.S. in Social Work
Declaration of Major
Students interested in pursuing a degree in social work may contact the Department
of Social Work to declare the major anytime after being admitted to the University.
Upon completion of the declaration of major form, the student is classified as a pre-social work
major and assigned a faculty advisor from within the department.
Students wishing to be formally admitted into the Social Work major must meet the
- Completion of 45 semester hours with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25.
- Completion of the following basic knowledge and professional foundation course work
with a minimum grade of "C":
- PY 101 Psychological Perspectives on Human Behavior
- SW 110 Introduction to Social Work*
- SW 201 Social and Economic Justice*
- SW 207 Understanding Cultural & Social Diversity*
- SW 221 Interviewing Skills for Generalist Practice*
- SW 222 Case Management
- SW 242 Statistics for Social Scientists
- Completion of all developmental courses (if applicable) and CL001, CL002.
- Completion of economic system, living system, political system, and written expression.
*SW110, SW201, SW207, SW221, SW222, and SW242 may NOT be repeated for admission to
the Social Work major without written permission from the Chair of the Department
of Social Work.
Students will be retained as social work majors providing the following retention
criteria are met:
- Completion of the following foundation courses with a minimum grade of "C".
- SW 307 Human Behavior and the Social Environment I
- SW 308 Human Behavior and the Social Environment II
- SW 310 Social Welfare Policy
- SW 321 Generalist Practice I
- SW 322 Generalist Practice II
- SW 323 Generalist Practice III
- SW 342 Social Research
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.25 each semester. (Once a student's cumulative GPA
has fallen below 2.25 the student will not be allowed to enroll in any remaining social
work course until the GPA requirement is met.)
- None of the foundation courses can be retaken more than once without written approval
from the Chair of the Department of Social Work.
Core courses may be reapeated to raise grades below "C" with written approval from
the student's faculty advisor and the Chair. The student's faculty advisor will monitor
compliance with all requirements listed above.
The Bachelor of Science degree in Social Work is awarded to studnets who satisfactorily
meet the following requirements:
- Completion of all University graduation requirements listed in the Southeast Missouri
State University Undergraduate Bulletin.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.25.
- Completion of integrated seminar and field education, i.e., SW449 with a minimum grade
- Completion of 448 hours of field education, i.e., SW 450 (Credit/ No Credit).
Social Work majors are not required to complete a minor.
The faculty of the Department of Social Work have a duty to the social work profession
to make reasonable efforts to ensure that its graduates are not only academically
prepared but are also emotionally and ethically prepared for the demands of professional
practice. Students are expected to demonstrate the following qualities:
- Adherence to the NASW Code of Ethics
- Self Awareness (knowledge of self - personally and professionally)
- Professional Commitment and Behavior
- Acceptance of Diversity
- Freedom from Chemical Dependency
- Emotional and Mental Stability