Founded in 1873
- Southeast’s main campus and River Campus are located in Cape Girardeau, MO.
- Regional campuses are located in Sikeston, Malden, and Kennett.
- Southeast offers a delivery site in Poplar Bluff, MO on the Three Rivers College campus.
- The population of Cape Girardeau County is approximately 78,000.
- The size of the main campus is 328 acres.
Enrollment (Fall 2017)
- Undergraduate enrollment is 10,458; graduate enrollment is 1,044.
- Student population is 58% female/42% male.
- Multicultural population percentage is 13%. The percentage increases to 18% when including
- There are 742 international students from 52 different countries studying at Southeast.
- 80% of the undergraduate students are from Missouri. Out-of-state students represent
almost all 50 states, with the largest out-of-state representation being from Illinois.
- Average age of undergraduate students is 21.
- Residential student body is approximately 3,000.
Academics (Fall 2017)
- The average ACT score is 23 and the average cumulative GPA is 3.5 for full-time freshmen.
- The average freshmen class size is 30-35 students.
- The student-to-faculty ratio is 20-to-1.
- Southeast offers 145+ undergraduate majors, 100+ undergraduate certificates and minors
and 75+ graduate programs.
- Over 1,500 courses offered each semester
- More than 250 online courses are offered
- Southeast offers more than 30 study-abroad options.
- The average freshman-to-sophomore retention rate is 75%.
- The average four-year graduation rate is 30%; five-year 44%; and six year 52%.
- The vast majority of courses are taught by full-time faculty with doctoral degrees.
Colleges and Schools
- Southeast has five academic colleges: Donald L. Harrison College of Business, College
of Education, College of Health and Human Services, College of Liberal Arts and College
of Science, Technology and Agriculture.
- Southeast has four schools: School of Extended Learning, School of Graduate Studies,
School of University Studies & Academic Information Services, and Earl and Margie
Holland School of Visual and Performing Arts.
- Students may choose from 21 residence halls and 10 dining venues.
- There are more than 180 student organizations
- 14% of students are members of Greek social fraternities and sororities.
- More than 5,000 students participate in intramural sports or sports clubs.
- A student recreation center with a resort quality aquatic center is available to students.
- As a member of the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) since 1991-92 Southeast has been remarkably
successful in Division I competition.
- Southeast has claimed 53 OVC regular-season titles and 18 OVC tournament titles as
well as having eight teams make NCAA Division I tournament appearances.
- Men’s athletics include baseball, basketball, cross country, football and indoor and
- Women’s athletics include basketball, cross country, gymnastics, indoor and outdoor
track, softball, tennis and volleyball.