Director of University Studies Program
Professor & Chair of Department of History
Office: Carnahan Room 311F
Southeast Missouri State University
One University Plaza
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
Background and Credentials
- Ph.D., Northwestern University, June 1996. Dissertation: "Spaniards and Nazi Germany:
Visions of a New Order."
- Diploma in Spanish as a Foreign Language, Ministry of Education and Science, Madrid,
Spain, July 1994.
- M.A., Northwestern University, June 1992. Thesis: "Authentic Falangism is Dead: The
Domestication of the Spanish Falange."
- B.A., University of Southern California, May 1990. Honors Thesis: "Nationalism in
Post-War Émigré Literature: In Search of the Good Croatian."
- Professor and Chair, Department of History, Southeast Missouri State University, beginning
- Associate Professor of History, 2003 - 2008, Ouachita Baptist University.
- Courses Taught: Military History, German History, Research Seminar, Russian History,
Twentieth Century Europe, Holocaust, Latin America, Western Heritage, French Revolution
and Napoleon, World History I and II, Contemporary World, Middle East History Reader,
AP European History, Educational Testing Service, University of Nebraska, June 2005,
- Member, Program Committee, European History Section, Southern Historical Association,
- Chair, Snell Prize Committee, European History Section, Southern Historical Association,
- Higher Education and Antiquities Chief, 2004, Northern Iraq, US Army.
- Adjunct Instructor, Fall 2002, Henderson State University. (Russian History)
- Instructor, June 1998, University of Maryland - University College (European Division),
Camp McGovern, Bosnia-Herzegovina. (History of Bosnia)
- Assistant Professor of History, 1996 - 2003, Ouachita Baptist University.
- Research Associate, Department of History, Northwestern University, 1995-1996.
- Spaniards and Nazi Germany: Collaboration in the New Order, University of Missouri
Press, 2000. 2001 Phi Alpha Theta Book Award.
- Spain during World War II. University of Missouri Press, 2006.
- Undoing Saddam: From Occupation to Sovereignty in Northern Iraq. Potomac Books, 2007.
- A Military History of Modern Spain. co-edited with Jose Alvarez. Praeger, 2007.
- History of Saudi Arabia. Greenwood Press, 2008.
Major Articles and Book Chapters
- "Spain and Poland during World War II," International Social Science Review, Winter
- "Spanish Soldiers in the German Army and SS," World War II Quarterly, Fall 2007.
- "¿Cual era el concepto que de España y los españoles tenían los nazis y la SS en 1940?
La vision real de Heinrich Himmler" (What image of Spain and the Spaniards did the
Nazis and SS have? The real vision of Heinrich Himmler), in La Historia de España
que no pudo ser (The History of Spain that could not be), Barcelona, Spain: Ediciones
- "Pilar Primo de Rivera and the Axis Temptation," The Historian, Spring 2005.
- "Turkey and the Second World War: Non-Belligerent but not Neutral," The Turks, volume
5 (Ankara: Yeni Türkiye, 2002). Also in Turkish as "Türkiye ve Ikinci Dünya Savasi:
'Tarafli Fakat Savasmayan Ülke,' " Türkler, volume 16, Ankara: Yeni Türkiye, 2002.
- "Ghost Battalion: Spaniards in the Waffen-SS," The Historian, Winter 2001.
- "Dedicated to Peace: The Foreign Policy of the Spanish Republic, 1931-1936," Journal
of Millenial Studies, Winter 2001.
- "Riding Out the Nightmare: Spaniards and Nazi Germany, 1944-1945," The Eagle and the
Lion, Berghahn Books, 2000.
- "Spanish Protection of Jews on the Eastern Front," Resisting the Holocaust, Berg Publishers,
- "Sources for the Study of the Franco Regime, 1936-1945," Bulletin of the Society for
Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies, Winter 1995.
Recent Book Reviews (since 2003)
- Katherine M. Skiba, "Sister in the Band of Brothers: Embedded with the 101st Airborne
in Iraq," University Press of Kansas, 2005. Military Review, March-April 2006.
- Stanley J. Stein and Barbara H. Stein, "Apogee of Empire: Spain and the New Spain
in the Age of Charles III, 1759-1789," Johns Hopkins University Press, 2003. Canadian
Journal of History, December 2005.
- Ayse Gül Altinay, "The Myth of the Military-Nation: Militarism, Gender, and Education
in Turkey," Palgrave, 2004. H-Net, September 2005.
- James M. Anderson, "The Spanish Civil War: A History and Reference Guide," Greenwood
Press, 2003. H-Net, May 2004.
- Geoffrey Jensen, "Irrational Triumph. Cultural Despair, Military Nationalism, and
the Ideological Origins of Franco's Spain." University of Nevada Press, 2002. Bulletin
of the Society for Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies, 2003.
- MacGregor Knox, "Common Destiny: Dictatorship, Foreign Policy, and War in Fascist
Italy and Nazi Germany." Cambridge University Press, 2000. German Studies Review,
- Michael Meeker, "A Nation of Empire: The Ottoman Legacy of Turkish Modernity," University
of California Press, 2002. H-Net, March 2003.
Recent Conference Papers (since 2003)
- "Defying the Monroe Doctrine: The Spanish Military during the American Civil War,
1861-1865," Society for Military History, Ogden, Utah, April 19, 2008.
- Chair, "Terrorism, Insurrection and Arms Trafficking: Consequences for the Canal,
Society and the Panamanian Economy," Academic and Civic Forum (Midwest Association
of Latin American Studies), Panama City, Panama, November 19, 2006.
- "Natural Allies: Spain and the Confederacy, 1961-1865," Southern Historical Association
- European History Section, Birmingham, November 16, 2006.
- "Remembering Hitler's Europe: Pro-Nazi Spaniards since 1945," German Studies Association,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 1, 2005.
- "The Spanish Military during World War II," Society for Military History, The Citadel,
Charleston, South Carolina, February 25, 2005.
- "The Last Train from Warsaw: Spain and the Holocaust in Poland, 1939-1944," Southern
Historical Association, Houston, Texas, November 9, 2003.
- "Spain and the Second World War," Saint Louis University, Madrid Campus, Spain, January
Honors and Awards
- Ouachita Baptist University
- Faculty Sabbatical, Spring 2003
- Research Grants, 2000, 2003, 2005
- Development Grants, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
- University Tenure, 2001
- Riley-Hickingbotham Library Award, Ouachita Baptist University, 1997
- Academic Enrichment Grants, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2008
- Research Grant, Program for Cultural Cooperation between Spain's Ministry of Education,
Culture, and Sports and United States' Universities, 2005
- Library Grant, Institute for Turkish Studies, 2002
- Panelist, National Endowment for the Humanities, Collaborative Research, 2001
- Publication Subsidy, Program for Cultural Cooperation between Spain's Ministry of
Education, Culture, and Sports and United States' Universities, 2000, 2006
- Fellow, Summer Institute on the Holocaust and Jewish Civilization, Holocaust
- Educational Foundation and Northwestern University, 1999
- Society for Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies
- Phi Alpha Theta
- Society for Military History
- Association for the Study of the Middle East and Africa
- World War II Studies Association
- German Studies Association
- Southern Historical Association (European History Section)
- Arkansas Association of College History Teachers
- H-Net (H-War, H-German, H-Mediterranean)
- Association for the Study of the Middle East and Africa