Applicants who are non-traditional for the purpose of admission are 21 years of age
or older, married, supporting a dependent child or a veteran with qualified armed
forces active duty. Documentation is required. High school transcripts with proof
of graduation or completion of the GED/HSE must be submitted.
If you are seeking an undergraduate degree at Southeast (freshmen, transfer students,
second-bachelor’s-seeking, for instance), please contact the Admissions Office at
573-651-2590 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We will walk you through the admissions, financial aid and enrollment process from
start to finish.
Southeast offers an extensive collection of courses to increase your accessibility
in achieving a college degree - including evening, weekend, online, blended and webinar
course formats. These courses are just some of the ways we make earning a degree cost-efficient
and flexible for you. Additionally, Southeast Online offers several degrees and completion programs fully online.
Recommended Application Deadlines:
Applications will be accepted after the below dates. To be considered for need-based financial aid, you must first be admitted to Southeast.
Upon admission, the financial aid award process can take four to six weeks to complete,
provided your FAFSA has been submitted to Southeast.
- Fall – July 1
- Spring – November 1
- Summer – May 1
- GED recipients may enroll full time with a GED score of 2500 or higher.
- HSE recipients may enroll full time with a Missouri HiSET score of 15 or higher on
each of the five subsections.
- High school graduates will be evaluated based on cumulative GPA and core curriculum
to ensure academic preparedness. In addition, a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA is required
for full-time enrollment.
Students who do not meet these guidelines will be restricted to part-time enrollment
(9 credit hours) during their first semester. Regional campus students (Sikeston,
Kennett, Malden) may utilize the fall semester Step Up Program to gain full-time enrollment.
Students who do not meet the above admission guidelines can also apply to the Cape College Center.
Non-traditional Student Steps to Enrollment:
Step 1: Apply for Admission
- Submit the Application for Admission and pay the non-refundable $30 application fee.
- Request transcripts be sent to Southeast from all high schools, colleges or universities
you have attended.
- If you received your GED/HSE in Missouri, the Office of Admissions has access to Missouri
GED/HSE transcripts through the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
If you received your GED/HSE outside of Missouri, submit a copy of your official test
results to the Office of Admissions.
Send documents to:
Southeast Missouri State University
Office of Admissions
One University Plaza
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701-4799
Note: Please allow 7-10 days for application processing and transcript evaluation. Admission
to the University does not indicate admission to programs that have additional admission
criteria and/or specific prerequisites.
Step 2: Apply for Financial Aid
- Create an FSA ID. The FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your Free Application
for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information online.
- Obtain a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web Worksheet then complete the FAFSA online.
- February 1 is Southeast’s Priority Financial Aid Deadline. Applying for financial
aid by February 1 will improve your chances of receiving federal and institutional
grant funds, low-interest loans, Federal Work Study, and financial aid from the state
- The deadline to apply for Endowed and Sponsored Scholarships is March 1.
- Financial aid awards will be emailed to your Southeast email account in mid-December.
- Visit our Veterans and Military Services site for information on using veterans benefits.
Step 3: Advising and Enrollment
- Beginning freshmen are required to attend First STEP orientation to enroll. During
First STEP, you will learn about class offerings, register for classes and learn about
financial aid and student life at Southeast. First STEP information will be included
in your admission packet. You may reserve your date by registering online.
- Admitted transfer students will receive an advising transcript and degree audit report
from the Registrar's Office approximately one month before registration begins. This
information will show how transfer course work is accepted and applied toward your
degree program. Admitted transfer students will also receive the name and phone number
of the office to contact for advising and enrollment information. View academic advising contacts.
- Transfer students with fewer than 24 transferable hours must attend First STEP orientation.
First STEP information will be included in your admission packet. You may reserve
your date by registering online.