The Office of International Education & Services does not provide tax advice. However, we have included information below that will help you understand your tax obligations.

The Office of International Education has also recently purchased common license for the usage of Glacier Tax Prep (federal tax preparation software) for the convenience of our students.

International Students With No U.S. Income 

You will need to file form 8843 if you had no US income in 2013. Form 8843 is not an income tax return form. It is an informational document required by the US government for international students with no US income.

The taxation arm of our federal government is the Internal Revenue Service, commonly called the "IRS." You can visit them at for additional information including information about any possible exemptions.

International Students With U.S. Income

Federal Tax Filing Requirements

All international students, who are non resident aliens for tax purposes, are required to file taxes given that you were present in the United States anytime during the tax year 2013 (1 January 2013 to 31 December 2013).

F1 or J1 Visa Holders with US Income

You must file form 1040NR or 1040-EZ. For your convenience, the Office of International Education & Services has purchased Glacier Tax Prep License. Glacier Tax Prep is tax preparation software that will help international students complete their federal tax forms. Please note that this service is available only to currently enrolled international students. Information about this software will be sent to all international students via email.

State Tax Filing Requirements

If you are a nonresident alien who is required to file a federal Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ (with Missouri source income of $600 or more), you must file Form MO-1040A (Short Form) or MO-1040 (Long Form).

The two Missouri state forms mentioned above, can be found on the Missouri Department of Revenue website.

We hope you find this information useful!