Marketing and University Relations professionals perform strategic and complex roles
as champions of the University’s mission, stewards of its reputation, monitors of
its competitive environment, and liaisons to its many constituencies. They have, therefore,
a special duty to fulfill those roles in a manner that will benefit the University,
their profession, and the academic community as a whole.
Marketing and University Relations professionals have a fundamental obligation to:
- advance the mission of the University in an ethical and socially responsible manner.
- reflect in their work the basic values of educational institutions, including an abiding
respect for diverse viewpoints and a firm commitment to the open exchange of ideas.
- reinforce through words and actions the principles of honesty, integrity, and trust,
which form the basis for long-term, supportive relationships with the University's
- place the welfare of the University above personal gain, avoid conflicts of interest,
take responsibility for their decisions, and treat colleagues and the public with
courtesy and respect.
Marketing and University Relations professionals are most successful at advancing
the University when:
- their efforts are carefully designed to support the University's strategic plan, to
manage its reputation, and to monitor those issues most likely to affect its future.
- they are present to provide strategic and crisis counsel to the University's leadership,
convey the viewpoints of primary publics, and participate in the formulation of policies
affecting those publics.
- they base their work on research that informs their understanding of the University's
primary publics and that measures progress toward established goals, expressed in
terms of desired attitudes and behaviors among those publics.
- they undertake ongoing, targeted programs of communications and marketing, employing
multiple channels appropriate to the audience and the message.
- they engage in two-way communication with primary publics and actively seek feedback
to help the University align its services with existing and emerging needs of its
- they involve internal constituencies across the organization in delivering not only
the messages but also the academic and service excellence on which the University's
- they employ proven methods, as well as promising new approaches in the field, as part
of a commitment to continuous improvement.
Acknowledgment: Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Principles
of Practice for Communications and Marketing Professionals at Educational Institutions